Senior Manager Advocacy
Merchant Risk Council
Remote (US only)
June 27, 2022
MRC is seeking a Senior Manager to join its Advocacy Team. The individual will have excellent knowledge on payments regulations, compliance, policies, and standards specifically impacting eCommerce merchants and solution providers.
The role includes building, developing, and sustaining excellent relations with payments and financial services Regulators, international payment card schemes, standards bodies and policy makers who produce mandates affecting MRC members. The applicant will have the ability to strongly deliver the Merchant Voice to policy makers and to effect positive change.
The successful candidate will report to MRC VP Global Expansion and Member Advocacy.
The role can be based anywhere in the U.S.
- To maintain up to date knowledge on all regulations, policies, scheme rules, standards, and mandates that impact MRC member eCommerce payments businesses and communicate requirements to MRC members through the related MRC member Forums.
- Support the MRC regulatory engagement strategy plan through development of relationships with global Regulators (e.g., Federal Reserve, European Commission, Reserve Bank of India, Financial Conduct Authority UK, ASIC Australia, etc.), international card schemes (e.g. Visa, Mastercard, American Express, etc.), policy and standards bodies (e.g. Payment Card Industry (PCI) Council, EMVCo, NACHA, etc.), enabling MRC to cultivate positive regulatory relationships and consequently, enabling advocacy objectives.- Draft and oversee development of responses to regulatory inquiries and Public Consultations by international payments and financial services regulators, in collaboration with, and on behalf of, MRC members.
- Engage critical stakeholders in problem solving policy issues that impact MRC member businesses.
- Leading working groups to support members to implement mandated changes.
- Identify and foster relationships with third party partners and community groups who share the MRC vision of a fair and level playing field on all things relating to payments policies and regulations, e.g., EPIF in Europe, NRF in US, MPAI in India, AusPayNet in Australia, etc.
- Work with internal marketing and programs teams to help tailor MRC communications to members, to address specific policy and compliance needs.
- Recruit relevant member personnel to the MRC Compliance & Policy Community. Manage related Community Calls and workshops with this group to discuss, inform, educate, and collaborate on all policy matters pertaining to our member businesses.
- Develop and manage educational events, e.g., webinars, conferences, roundtables, workshops, and other member events for MRC Member compliance and policy representatives and other interested parties.
- Perform additional tasks as assigned
- Knowledge of the eCommerce payments industry, payment regulations, compliance requirements and payments rules and standards, is required.
- Ability to work under pressure, manage multiple projects, meet deadlines, and adapt to change.
- Solid critical and analytical thinking.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including proven track record of effective communication with regulatory and policy-making agencies.
- Proven ability to interact well with internal management and external contacts, including Regulators, international card schemes, standards bodies, and FS policy and standards makers.
- Strong ability to source, manage and analyze data.
- Identify and prioritize emerging legislation that will impact MRC members.
- Lead advocacy efforts, drawing upon a deep understanding of both the political marketplace and MRC member priorities.
- Experience working with Regulators, industry associations, and corporate executives.
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- An ability to work with a wide range of personalities and interests, including industry colleagues, policymakers, staff, academics, community leaders, and both internal and member executives.
- Polished and comfortable speaking in front of internal and member executives, as well as large external audiences
- A deep integrity that immediately generates respect and trust.
- Selfless attitude, committed to the overall goals of the role and member needs
- Organized and detail oriented.
- Effective communicator who can write and explain complicated issues in simple terms.
- A natural energy and positive attitude.
- Having existing ties with policy makers and already acknowledged as a respected industry representative is preferred.
- A passion for legal and regulatory matters in the retail payments industry
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university, a JD or advanced degree
- 5+ years of experience in the financial services industry through employment or consulting
- Ability to collaborate with executive team members, clients, and other business stakeholders
- Financial Industry operations and technology knowledge and experience with an emphasis on knowledge of regulatory rules, current industry legislation and policies
- Strong project management and performance management skills
- Must be a self-starter who is comfortable working in a very dynamic environment, with rapidly changing priorities
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are required, along with the ability to quickly learn, assess and provide reports on complex matters
- Experience in the financial services legal field is preferred
Additional Skills: Excellent English is required (verbal and written).
Fluency in other languages is a plus.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary Scale: USD$100K – 150K per year
- 401(k) matching up to 5%
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off (4 weeks)
- Vision insurance
Monday to Friday